How to Find LexisNexis from the ASU Law Library Homepage
- From the Law Library home page, click on the Legal Research tab.
- Under Recommended Resources, click on the dropdown menu.
- Click on LexisNexis Academic.
- On the next screen, click on the underlined link for LexisNexis Academic.
- On the next screen, click on the U.S. Legal tab.
- Click on Law Reviews.
How to Find an Article by Author
- If you know the author's name, type it into the "Search For" box, then click on the drop down menu and choose "Author".
- Click Search.
How to Find an Article by Title
- If you know the full or partial title, type it into the "Search For" box, then click on the drop down menu and choose "Title".
- Click Search.
How to Find an Article by Citation
- If you know the citation of an article, type it into the "Search For" box, then click on the drop down menu and choose "Citation".
- Click Search.
- If you don't know the format for the citation, go to the Easy Search page and click on "Citation Help".
How to Find an Article by Subject
- You may want to search for articles on a particular subject.
- Use terms that relate to the important issues and facts involved in your research. Do not use common words like “law”. Think of unique terms or phrases that describe your topic.
- Once you have determined which term(s) or phrase(s) you are going to search, type them into the "Search For" box. You can connect terms or phrases by clicking on the drop down menu and choosing "and", "or", "not", "within 5 words of", "In same sentence as", or "In same paragraph as".
- Click on "Search". This search looks for the terms or phrases everywhere in the article fields.
- You can narrow your results by retrieving articles that mention your search term(s) at least five times in the text of the article. To do this, type in your term(s) or phrase(s) and then in the drop down menu choose “at least 5 occurrences”. Click “Search”.
- You may only be interested in articles published in the last several years. To limit your search, go to “Specify Date” and click on the drop down menu. Choose the date range you want retrieved and click “Search”.
- It is also possible to limit your search to articles published on a particular topic in topical journals. To do this, go to “Limit To” and select a topic. If you want to search all U.S. Law Reviews and Journals, do not select a topic.
- How to Search for Articles in a Specific Journal
- Click on “Sources” on the blue toolbar on the left.
- Click on “Find Sources”.
- In the keyword box enter the name of the Journal and click on “Find Sources”.
- Click on the box in front of the journal title on the next screen.
- Click on the red box “Ok – Continue”, which takes you to the power search page.
- In the “Search Terms” box, enter your search term and connectors, then click on “Search”.
How to View Results
- You can view the articles from your search in List format (default) or click on the dropdown menu under Show and then click on Expanded List, Full Document, Full with Indexing, Custom, or KWIC (keyword in context).
- Click on an article-title link to view that article in full.
How to Sort Results
- You can sort your results by Publication Date or click on the dropdown menu under Sort and click on Relevance or Chronological.
How to Tag Results
- To select articles from a list for printing, emailing, downloading, or exporting, click on the box to the left of the number on the list
How to Print Articles
Printing in the Law Library requires the creation of a print account. Please see the Printing and Copying Page
for instructions on setting up a print account and printer locations.
- Click on the Print Documents icon in the upper right corner of the document you want to print.
- Make sure that the Format, Document View, and Document Range are what you want, then click on the red Print button.
- Enter the User ID from the back of your Print Anywhere card when prompted to do so.
How to Email Articles
- Click on the Email Documents icon in the upper right corner of the document you want to email.
- Make sure that the Format, Document View, Range, and other options are set to what you want.
- Enter your email address and then click on the red Send button.
How to Download Articles
- With your document onscreen, click on the Download Documents icon in the upper right hand portion of the page
- Make sure that the Format, Document View and the DocumentRange are what you want, then click on the red Download button.
- The next screen will very quickly give you a number of pages for your document. This is actually the number of screens which will translate to approximately ½ that number of printed pages, i.e. 24 screen pages is about 12 printed pages.
- The download screen will give you an underlined link to the document. Right click on this link and choose Save Target As…
- Connect your Flash drive to the USB cable marked with a white label.
- In the “Save As” box, click on removable disk
- Click on the document to be downloaded and click Save.
- To remove your flash drive, click once on the green arrow in the lower right corner of the screen, then click on Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device.